Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Zucchini again

First post-share-pickup priority of the week:  deal with what's leftover from last week.  In this case it's salad greens of several types.  Since they are already washed, all that's necessary is to put them into boiling water for about a minute, drain them, and put them in containers (or baggies) in the freezer.  I find they are much easier to chop when they are partially frozen, so I slice and dice them later, for use in my winter soups. Now, on to the zucchini...

True confession:  I like dessert.  Can zucchini make a good dessert?  Emphatically yes, in the form of a mock apple pie, and you'll be hard-pressed to distinguish it from the real thing.  The good thing about using it in a pie is that you go through a meaningful amount of it.  This time of year, that is a blessing.  The best zucchini to use in a pie is a big one, though if the skin isn't really tender you might have to peel it first.

Here is a good recipe I found on-line:  http://allrecipes.com/recipe/zucchini-apple-pie/detail.aspx

Notes:
  • If you don't want the hassle of making (or buying) a pie crust, the same filling with an apple crisp topping sprinkled over it will work well also. Especially if there is whipped cream or vanilla ice cream involved.
  • You can find many recipes on line for this idea, but make sure there is lemon juice involved in the preparation--that's what helps to simulate the apple taste, in my opinion.
  • Hmm....I wonder how zucchini/rhubarb pie would taste?

No comments:

Post a Comment