Thursday, July 21, 2011

Leeks, eggplant, summer squash, zucchini

Summer just wouldn't be summer without grilled something or other.  I especially like to grill summer squashes, zucchini, eggplant, onions, and peppers.  There are many ways to prepare them for the grill, and many ways to season them, but here's one very easy way:  Cut squashes lengthwise in half, then cut each half into crosswise slices, about 1/2" thick.  Cut leeks lengthwise in half (this also makes it easy to find and wash away that sneaky sand lurking inside the leeks!) and cut the white part (and as much of the green as is tender) into 1/2" rounds as well.  Cut the eggplant into 1/4" rounds. Toss all into a bowl, and pour a little olive oil and salt on them, mixing until veggies are coated; add herbs to your taste.  I cook the vegetables in a wok made for grilling (with holes in it), but you could use a grill basket or screen as well.  Stir occasionally so they don't stick.

These veggies are good served with potatoes grilled at the same time:  cut up some small potatoes, coat with a bit of oil or melted butter and either wrap them in foil or put them in a foil-covered metal pie plate and set that on the grill also.

All of these vegetables take only about 15-30 minutes at a medium setting, with the grill cover closed.  I like them really tender, so I make sure to give them enough time--the eggplant especially needs to be meltingly soft.

Notes:
  • A little grated cheese sprinkled on the potatoes is tasty.
  • Grilled corn on the cob is also a nice addition to this meal.
  • Adding peppers and onions to the grilled "stir-fry" works well, if you have them.  And cherry tomatoes would add nice color, although you'd have to add them a little later, because they are quicker to cook.
  • If I want to add grilled tofu to this meal, I'll grill it separately, because (1) it falls apart and (2) it needs more seasoning than the vegetables do.
  • Leftover grilled vegetables work well for a frittata or omelette for the next day's lunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment