It's only Monday--a full day before I'll begin long distance food management. Today is about the cabbage I have left from last week. Here's the good news: cabbage is a great keeper. It will wait in the refrigerator until I get back.
However, we already had a cabbage in our share before, and I made sauerkraut with it. The first time I did this I couldn't believe how easy it was. And it is a far cry from the canned stuff. So if you like a good reuben sandwich or a delicious saute of kielbasa, potatoes, and sauerkraut (which I do), give it a try. Here are two links that are excellent:
http://www.wildfermentation.com/resources.php?page=sauerkraut and http://germanfood.about.com/od/saladsandsides/r/Sauerkraut.htm
Notes:
- It is fascinating how fermentation changes the nutritional content of the cabbage, increasing the vitamin C content, for example.
- Many recipes call for various spices (juniper berries, caraway, etc.), but the only things necessary to make the fermentation work are cabbage, salt, and unchlorinated (or filtered) water and a non-reactive (glass, crockery) container.
No comments:
Post a Comment