Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Zucchini...again!

More specifically, "Chicken Salad with Zucchini, Lemon and Almonds"

1/3 cup dried raisins
2 T. olive oil
1 garlic clove, thinly sliced
1/8 t. ground cumin
Finely grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
juice of half a lime
Salt and pepper
two or three zucchini (2 lbs. total)
about a pound of cooked chicken
3 T. almonds, toasted
2 cups salad greens, sliced into strips

  1. Soften the raisins in hot water for about 10 minutes, and then drain.
  2. In a large nonreactive bowl, combine 2 T. olive oil with the garlic, cumin, lemon zest, lemon juice, lime juice, ½ t. salt and ¼ t. pepper.
  3. Cut zucchini into 2-x-½-inch sticks and add to the bowl along with the raisins.  Let stand at room temperature for two hours, stirring occasionally.
  4. Slice the chicken into strips and place in a large, shallow serving bowl.  Add the marinated zucchini and currants, toasted pine nuts, and greens.  Toss lightly and serve right away.
Notes:
  • The original recipe is from Food and Wine's April 2009 issue, and I have changed it and simplified it beyond recognition, but still...credit where credit's due!
  • The original recipe calls for marinating the chicken in lemon, olive oil, and shallots, and then sautéeing it.  I'm sure it would be delicious, but I had cooked chicken all ready, so I used that.  My chicken had been roasted, but grilled chicken would also have worked well. 
  • The original recipe called for lemon, but I used half lemon and half lime, because that's what I had on hand.
  • The original recipe called for pine nuts, but I used almonds, because that's what I had on hand.
  • The original recipe called for currants, but I used raisins, because...yes...that's what I had on hand.  (Did you know that what we know as "zante currants" are really just very small raisins?  They are not actually related to the currant at all.)
  • The original recipe called for baby arugula, but I had leftover romaine from a previous share, so that's what I used.
  • The original recipe called for adding a 1-inch piece of preserved lemon, peel only, slivered--but really, who keeps that on hand? 
  • I guess it must be obvious by now that I don't like shopping for ingredients.  But it worked out anyway; maybe next time I'll have different ingredients available and it will be a whole new dish...

No comments:

Post a Comment